Called the “Super Soul” musical, “The Wiz” is a hip, joyful retelling of L. Frank Baum’s classic “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz” which opened on Broadway in 1975 with an entirely African-American cast and won seven Tony awards, including Best Musical. The well-known film adaptation premiered in 1978 (starring Diana Ross, Michael Jackson, Lena Horne, Nipsey Russell and Richard Pryor).
Those auditioning should prepare to sing a contemporary theater song (songs from “The Wiz” are acceptable but not required), jazz, Motown or R&B vocal selection. You must provide your own sheet music arrangement (preferred) or karaoke (without vocal) accompaniment version of your audition piece. In addition to a pianist, playback on CD, MP3 and iPod/iPhone/iTouch capabilities will also be available. All those auditioning should be prepared to learn a short dance combination and dress accordingly.
Audition & Show Details:
- Houston Center Stage Theater is accepting audition registrations for this show from actors of age 7 and up with four convenient audition sessions, in two locations (actors under 7 years of age may audition only with the permission of the Artistic Director).
- These auditions will be held over two weekends and at two locations:
- Champions area auditions will be held at Applause Theater Company located at 6608 FM 1960 West, Houston (Friday, May 6: 6-9 pm and Saturday, May 7: 9 am-noon).
- Tomball area auditions will be held at The 2nd Stage Theater, 22601 Lutheran Church Road,Tomball (Thursday, May 12, 6-9 pm and Friday, May 13, 6-9 pm)
- Callbacks (if needed) will be held Saturday, May 14, at The 2nd Stage Theater in Tomball from 9 am-6 pm.
- Show Dates: Weekends July 15-24, 2011 (all performances at State-of-the-Art, 850 seat, “Ranch” Theater, 10700 Fry Rd, Cypress,TX)
For more information or to register, please visit the Houston Center Stage Theater website at www.houstonscenterstage.com.